Monday, September 27, 2010

Go Team! (sort of)

The pigskin is something that's always been illusive to me. I dare admit that I, a born and bred Southerner, haven't a clue what those corn-fed chaps are doing scurrying about on the field. They would revoke my Southern Belle card, but I make a banana puddin' so perfect it would make you weep.

There's a scene in Driving Miss Daisy where Morgan Freeman is telling Jessica Tandy that he can't read. She counters with, "But I see you looking at the paper all the time." He explains, "But that's just it, I just be a lookin'." It's kind of the same for me, but not as profound.

I love everything about football: The cool weather, the excited fans, tailgating, entire outfits and a host of other merchandise devoted to the people you're watching. It's very similar to what the theatre is to me. Hell, if people were grilling hot dogs outside Broadway I'd say they were one in the same.

I almost broke down and bought An Idiot's Guide to Football on Amazon.com but my pride prevented it. Thanks to the internet and a few teen angst movies from my high school days I know lots of terms so I know when to cheer and when to be sad, angry, etc. When it comes to real-time play however, I just be a lookin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment